Saturday, August 20, 2011

The crate seats everyone is raving about!

ok, ok..you've all seen these on pintrest, and so I had to make them also!  I don't have enough chairs at my small group table, and I am tired to having the students drag their chair across the room every time they meet with me.  When I saw this idea on Pintrest, I HAD to make them!!!
So, here are the steps...It's way easy..especially if you have a crafty dad like mine!!!

The first thing you need to do is go to Wal-Mart and buy the crates with the lip inside---the ones that will hang file folders, and some spray glue.

Next, and I don't have a picture of this part, but, take your newly purchased crate to Lowes or Home Depot.  Go directly to the lumber department!  Ask the cute gentleman there to cut a sheet of plywood for  you!  (I didn't even have to flirt that much!)
I used 3/4 inch plywood because I wanted to make sure they would hold my students.
He will use your crate as a measurement, so remember to bring it in with you!
(you can get 12 boards cut from one sheet of plywood)

Next, take the cut boards to your dads house!!  (or purchase a sander while your at the Home Depot)


 I got my dad to use his sander to round off the corners of the boards..it makes them fit inside the crate perfectly!  (and the Home Depot people don't do this)  (and my dad has a mega shop with AH.MAZ.ING tools in it!!!)


 I purchased a twin mattress cover---AKA--Egg crate, at Wal-Mart for like $9.00!  It makes 9 cushions for the boards!  

 Spray the glue onto the board and put the egg crate on top.
 Wrap the board like a present with some pretty fabric that you spent all day looking for!!

 Use a staple gun, or borrow your dads!, and staple the fabric down to the board.

 Find some matching ribbon...I used flip flop ribbon cause my room is a beach theme!  Wrap it around and staple it down.  This is used as a handle.
 (after finishing the project, I probably should have stapled the ribbon on lengthwise for more support)

And VOILA!!  Nice little seats for my reading table!  AND, I plan to have each child sit in the same seat each time they come to small group, soooo, I will have them store their small group stuff, (dry erase board, marker, eraser sock, highlighter, index cards, etc..) in their crate!  It will still hold up a folder under the seat so each student can have their own folder in their seat with their stuff!!!


Thanks Dad!  




1 comment:

  1. LOVE these seats! In fact, they're on my list for my craft week - hopefully tomorrow's craft ... if my husband EVER finishes cutting the wood!!!

    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete